The PTSA wants to help students, and their parents, find meaningful opportunities and ones that fit their interests. We have created this page as a resource, to give ideas, help answer questions and offer actual opportunities. Please send us opportunities (and contacts) that have worked well for your family. We will coordinate with school counselors to make sure that we have the most complete and accurate information.
Visit this list of opportunities to see what is available in our community!
Please contact Kristen at firstname.lastname@example.org with your questions or opportunities.
The following information is from the Madison Student Planner:
Madison Community Service: All hours must be with a community organization.
Description: The student earned hours are tracked through paperwork (Madison Community Service form) given to you by your Advisory teacher. Middle school community service is meant to prepare you for the considerable requirement needed for high school graduation.
This year your hours must be completed by the first week of June with a suggested half of those hours being completed by the end of first semester.
Students will earn a Fail (N) for advisory, if their number of hours are not completed by the end of the school year.
7th graders: Need 10 hours
8th graders: Need 12 hours
High School: 60 hours
Suggestions for Service:
- Volunteer at an elementary school or preschool;
- Work with younger children at a community center or church;
- Visit a person at a retirement center and read them a book;
- Work at a community event serving food or helping with logistics;
- Organize a group of friends to pick up trash for a school or other organization
- Collect items and donate them to a charity organization.
- Community Organizations to work with:
- Seattle Public Library Branches
- West Seattle Senior Center
- Emerald City Pet Rescue
- Local Retirement homes
- West Seattle Food Bank
- Madison Middle School or your local Elementary or High Schools
Use this form when filling out your hours or having a supervisor sign off your work: Madison Community Service